First Image

Charles Henry Canvin (1897-1917) Died at Vimy, France

Stacks Image 59254





Birthdate:





March 18, 1897
Birthplace:
Greater London, England, United Kingdom
Death:
Died April 9, 1917 in Vimy, Pas-de-Calais, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France
Place of Burial:
Givenchy-en-Gohelle, Pas-de-Calais, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France




First Image

Stacks Image 66970

Picture Taken by a friend of Barbara Archer Canvin from the Vimy Ridge Memorial France - August 2017


The
Battle of Vimy Ridge was a military engagement fought primarily as part of the Battle of Arras, in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France, during the First World War. The main combatants were the Canadian Corps, of four divisions, against three divisions of the German Sixth Army. The battle, which took place from 9 to 12 April 1917, was part of the opening phase of the British-led Battle of Arras, a diversionary attack for the French Nivelle Offensive.



The Winnipeg Grenadiers was an infantry regiment of the Canadian Army formed on 1 April 1908 under General Order No. 20. Initially it was raised with headquarters at Morden, Manitoba and companies at: ‘A’ Company at Morden, ‘B’ Company at Morden, ‘C’ Company at Manitou, ‘D’ Company at Carman,‘E’ Company at Roland, 'F’ Company at Pilot Mound, ‘G’ Company at Cartwright and ‘H’ Company at Boissevain. The unit did not have any active personnel enrolled at the formation.
On 1 February 1910 all companies and headquarters were moved to Winnipeg. On 2 May 1910 the designation was changed to the
100th Winnipeg Grenadiers. The first officers were gazetted to the regiment on 18 May 1910. Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Norlande Ruttan who came from the Retired List commanded the regiment on organization (General Order No. 57 (HQ 32-1-107)). The regiment was reorganized under General Order No. 120 (1915) on 1 October 1915 to an establishment with four companies.

Please click the PDF icon to find further info on Charles Canvin
Stacks Image 66936
Please click PDF icon for remembrance certificate Charles canvin
Stacks Image 66943




First Image

Dead Man's Penny

Many thanks to : Steven Canvin - Kathleen Margaret Johnstone and Lawrence Victor "Lorne" Canvin for the following photos & information.

The Memorial Plaque was issued after the First World War to the next-of-kin of all British and Empire service personnel who were killed as a result of the war.
The plaques (which could be described as large
plaquettes) were made of bronze, and hence popularly known as the "Dead Man’s Penny", because of the similarity in appearance to the somewhat smaller penny coin. 1,355,000 plaques were issued, which used a total of 450 tonnes of bronze,[1] and continued to be issued into the 1930s to commemorate people who died as a consequence of the war.

Both the penny and the large plaque below were given to the relatives of Charles, the plaque is very rare and the family placed this item on their front Door.

Stacks Image 66962
Stacks Image 66964


First Image

Place of Death