2015-07-25 10.25.58

A long walk around Oxford 25/07/2015

A nice 9.5 mile walk around the City of Oxford taking in the Universities and a lot of the major Tourist attractions . Starting the walk from the main bus station within the city we head west over the train line until we got to the river Thames, following the Thames path you will pass Osney lock and into Grandont Nature park a riverside park managed byOxford City Council (grid reference SP510054). The park covers 7.4 acres (3.0 ha) and was created in 1985 on the site of a gas works that was demolished in 1960. Hinksey lake will soon be in sight and you will pass a bridge called the The Devil’s backbone and again back to the river Thames passing the Boat houses used by the Universities and watching the many rowing boats hurtling up the Thames, to cross over the thames we had to go unto Folly bridge heading north towards Christ Church college before doubling back on ourselves and again reaching the Thames on the other side of the River. The Tourists around Christ Church are everywhere and I think on this day China had invaded and it makes for hard work pushing your way through the crowds however we made it out alive and back on the trail. Passing Magdalen sports ground and the Botanic gardens we headed towards Merton college , Corpus Christi and into Turl street passing Lincoln college then down Brasenose lane before arriving at the Radcliffe camera.

The Radcliffe Camera (Camera, meaning "room" in Latin; colloquially, "Rad Cam" or "The Camera") is a building of Oxford University, England, designed by James Gibbs in neo-classical style and built in 1737–1749 to house theRadcliffe Science Library. It is sited to the south of the Old Bodleian, north ofSt. Mary's Church, and between Brasenose College to the west and All Souls College to the east.


Passing the Bodleian Library we headed for the best bit, the Turf Tavern and a pint of good old English Ale, The
Turf Tavern (or just "the Turf") is a popular but well-hidden historic pub in central Oxford, England. Its foundations date from the 13th century and the low beamed front bar area from the 17th. It was originally called the Spotted Cow but changed its name in 1842, probably as a reaction to gambling meetings held on site.


After a nice pint we were back on the road again passing Balliol college via Broad Street, Gloucester street and into St giles passing the Randolph Hotel and the Ashmolean and finally passing Radcliffe Observatory and Oxford university press this is the largest
university press in the world,[1]and the second-oldest, after Cambridge University Press. It is a department of the University of Oxford and is governed by a group of 15 academics appointed by the Vice-Chancellor known as the Delegates of the Press. They are headed by the Secretary to the Delegates, who serves as OUP' s chief executive and as its major representative on other university bodies. Oxford University has used a similar system to oversee the Press since the 17th century.[2]

A great walk this one taking in the great Historic sights that Oxford has to offer, and also large parkland and Rivers to get away from the crowds