Benthall Hall 3rd March 2012
First Image
Please see this link for the photos.
We found this on the map and decided to give it a try, the weather was a bit grim but it turned out to be a nice visit. We went there just to take photos. The following below is from the National Trust website please visit their site for more info (link at the bottom.)

Situated on a plateau above the gorge of the River Severn, this fine stone house has mullioned and transomed windows, a stunning interior with carved oak staircase and decorated plaster ceilings and oak panelling.
The current house was built in 1535 but there have been Benthalls living on this site since the medieval period. During this time the house has been part of many interesting events from the Civil War to the Industrial Revolution. During the Civil War the house was seized by the Cavaliers and run as a Parliamentary garrison, the Royalists attacked but they were unsuccesful in retaking the property.
Between 1720 and 1934 the Benthalls lost ownership of the estate, and one of the new custodians George Maw took full advantage of the close proximity to Ironbridge. George Maw and his brother were able to develop their tile business at Benthall because of the clay and coal available in this area and they even used the house as part of their sales technique by laying tiled floors in the house. The tiled floor in the entrance hall has only recently been rediscovered, because an oak floor had been put on top of it. In addition, George Maw was also a distinguished botanist; he assembled a collection of rare plants from around the world in the garden, including a large collection of crocuses, which can still be seen today in the spring and autumn.
As well as the crocuses to see in the garden there is also an intimate and carefully restored plantsman's garden, an old kitchen garden and interesting Restoration church. This is the home of Edward and Sally Benthall.


Links
National Trust website entry
Map location